Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Meet the Maker: Animal Sculptress Sabina Gibson

Sabina Gibson, 34, is the creator behind Mount Royal Mint, a veritable zoo of an Etsy shop of fantastical animal sculptures. Based in Montreal, she works in video and television, but on the side creates narwhals, unicornaments, spirit bears, custom pet portraits, and folksy foxes from wool and felt.


What inspired your spirit bears?
The spirit bears are my favorite. Theyre a free form of expression for me. When I first completed the bear shape, I found the form itself very eye pleasing and sculptural. At that point I knew what I wanted to do. There are endless amounts of folk stories and myths to draw inspiration from, but I mostly enjoy making them up myself. I like to invent their backgrounds and origins and write little folktales about each one.


How did you get started with soft sculpture?
When I was young, I loved stuffed animals. I never owned a Barbie. So its kind of interesting that I now design my own brand of animal characters. It all started one day when my boyfriend (and current husband) discovered a lump of socks that looked like a creature. For fun we began adding limbs and more facial features, and from there it just evolved.

You live in a beautiful place. Does Montreal inform your work?
Montreal is a magical city. There is a real quality of life here that is perfect for fostering creativity and innovation, which is why we ended up moving here. But I would say a great deal of my inspiration that shaped my style as an artist came from living in Taipei. The design style there is so fun and fantastic. The city buses are pink and the garbage trucks play Beethoven. Cuteness rules popular culture. Mascots are huge celebrities, and not just for kids.


Whats the key to getting a pet portrait just right?
I would say the greatest point of expression comes from the eyes. It is the most important detail. Even though they are often not much more than two dots on a face, if they are not done right, it can throw off your whole piece.


Lovely. Now, please fill in the blanks

Having my own business is:extremely rewarding.

If I werent doing this, I would:make movies or work with animals.

Creating makes me feel:human.

I find inspiration in:films, music, fashion, art, and freaks of nature.

I do my best work:when I am not trying to do my best work.

The best advice I can give is:be true to your own vision and ideas.

My definition of success is:being happy doing what you love most every day.

Three things Id like to learn are:drums, animatronics, and kung fu.


File hosting Letitbit.net Home Free hosting of your files to share files with your friends, with the ability to capitalize on these files. Fap roulette delivered - Imvu credit hack 2012 no survey The sisters saw the pale shadow which seemed was Three and be. Wikianswers - The Q&A wiki WikiAnswers: Questions and Answers from the Community ... Did you know that you can switch your old profile style out for the new one? Entertainment News, Celebrity Interviews and Pop Culture - ABC News Get the latest entertainment news, celebrity interviews and pop culture pulse on movies, TV and music and more at ABCNews.com. Superbunker Swap Meet - MegaList 10bc: ... D'Yer Maker.kar Strong Enough.kar ... J.Sabina A.S\240nchez - PONGAMOS QUE HABLO DE MADRID.kar S C RA P MAKER. C OM.TXT - HOME Bio bio biohazard Txtoastz FrFrmPukin toastz txtoastz pukin kister Liter rudesoul liter kisters Kister wec2u3 Ruldesouls Taeja_Diaz Taeja taeja diaz Zoe zoe nigger Topic Galleries -- WGN Topic galleries provide easy access to stories and photos about people, places, organizations, events and subjects of interest to you. They bring together rich ... Megashares - Drag. Drop. Yup. The first site to provide FREE file ... How Does Megashares Work? Select the file or files you wish to upload. Choose the options best suited for your upload (password protect, description, email notification) Directory of Guyanese on the Internet - Guyana News and Information Devers, Sean: seandevers2001@yahoo.com: From: West Ruinveldt,Greater Georgetown: Living In: Alberttown,Georgetown: Occupation: Cricket journalist,Radio cricket ... USENET-NAMES 'Eamonn A'Shar A-CAD A-Commuter A-Gallegos A-Ko A-Kwun A-Tool A-xing AAAARGH AABSolutely AABStainer? AAC-RJesseD AAC-RjesseD AAGE AALEN AAMER AAMOT AANNESTAD AAOMAR

No comments:

Post a Comment